Friday, March 23, 2007

Longoria Offers Troubled Metcalfe Her Support

Troubled Desperate Housewives star Jesse Metcalfe has won the support of his one-time TV mistress as he battles alcoholism in rehab. Actress Eva Longoria admits she was shocked when she discovered her TV boy toy had checked himself into a Los Angeles rehab facility for alcohol abuse earlier this week. But she has become the first of Metcalfe's castmates to offer her support as he struggles with his alcohol demons. Longoria says, "I was really surprised. I worked with Jesse for a long time and he is the most put-together young actor you'll ever meet. "He wants to be responsible and do the right thing. That's a brave thing and I support him 100 percent."

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

McCartney Sends Flowers to Mills

Paul McCartney and estranged wife Heather Mills are still friends, and the former Beatle sent a bouquet of flowers to mark the former model's debut on reality TV show Dancing with the Stars.
Despite media reports of a bitter battle between the pair--who split last year after four years of marriage--Mills insists relations between her and McCartney are amicable, and blames the rocker's lawyers for dragging out their divorce. She told talk-show host Larry King last night about McCartney's gift: "It was nice. "There was a card that read, 'Dear Mummy, love Daddy and Beatrice.' "We still have a friendship, it's just the lawyers who are nasty. Not on my side, but on his side. There's one woman. "The lawyer, Fiona Shackleton, wants to drag it out to fill her pockets. She has said some mean things. She wants to make it as difficult as possible." She adds of her split from McCartney, "I still love him. He's the father of my child. But you can love someone and not be right for each other and have to move on. "It's like a death. You marry someone because you are madly in love. We had a beautiful child after I'd had ectopic pregnancies and a miscarriage. "We were together for seven years. We tried and tried and tried. But sometimes you have to say, 'It's not working.'"

Monday, March 19, 2007

Gervais Plans to Axe 'Extras'

Comedian Ricky Gervais will make a final Christmas special episode of TV hit Extras before axing the show, according to reports. The Emmy-winning creator of The Office is determined not to risk the failure of a poor third season, and would rather move onto new projects. After the success of The Office, Extras attracted a host of A-list celebrities desperate for cameo roles including David Bowie, Chris Martin and Ben Stiller. An insider tells British newspaper The Sun, "There had been reports that Ricky was going to go ahead with a third series of Extras. But he is firmly of the opinion that third series are rarely a success and has decided to quit while he's ahead. "When he said goodbye to The Office with a two-part Christmas special, it was a smash hit both in the ratings and critically, so he's decided to do that again. He's loved making the series and there are tons more A-list stars who want to appear. "But Ricky has lots of other things he wants to do and feels this is the right timing."

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Parents Attack Strict Rules at Oprah School

Oprah Winfrey has come under fire from parents of children attending her all-girl leadership academy in South Africa--for keeping them away from their kids. As the media mogul opened a second South African school on Friday, the parents of kids attending her first educational facility outside Johannesburg were on the attack. They claim strict visitation rules are far from ideal and they want greater access to their children. A small group of mothers has compared the school's restrictions on visits and phone calls to life in a prison. The concerned moms reveal they're only allowed to spend two hours a month with their daughters, who are full-time students at the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy in Henley-on-Klip. Frances Mans, the foster mother of student Gweneth Mulder, tells South Africa's Media 24 network her recent visit to the school was a "nightmare." She explains, "We had only two hours to see my child. Surely this isn't a prison." A second mother, Angela Conradie, reveals her homesick daughter is very upset about the school rules: "Michelle phones me in tears sometimes, and then I don't know what to say to her."

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Philbin Surgery 'Successful'

TV veteran Regis Philbin underwent a successful triple heart bypass operation on Wednesday morning. The talk-show host, 75, told viewers of his morning show Live! With Regis and Kelly on Monday he would be having the surgery after feeling shortness of breath and chest pains in recent weeks. Philbin has taken five weeks off hosting Live! to recover from the operation, which was carried out by Doctor O. Wayne Isom at the Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City. His co-host Kelly Ripa told viewers this morning that Philbin came through the operation "with flying colors" and was already "up, joking around with the nurses" and "harassing people."

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fashion Designer Alexander Charged with Rape

Celebrity fashion designer Anand Jon Alexander was charged yesterday with six counts of rape and sexual assault in relation to several incidents dating back to 2004. The 33-year-old--who has appeared several times on reality TV show America's Next Top Model--was charged by authorities in Los Angeles for the alleged attacks on two women and a 15-year-old girl between October 2004 and March 2007. These include two counts of forcible rape and two charges of committing a lewd act upon a child. The Indian-born designer was arrested at his home in Beverly Hills, California, on March 6, after a woman accused him of rape. Alexander denies the allegations. His lawyer Ronald Richards says, "When you have people desperate to be in fashion, they get upset when you don't place them where they want to be. "When you deal with a large amount of women, you're going to have potential false allegations made against you." Alexander is currently being detained on $1.3 million bail and is due in court on March 19 for a hearing.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Aguilera Scores Role on 'CSI'

Pop superstar Christina Aguilera is to appear in hit TV show CSI: New York, and plans have already been made for a darker theme for the episode. The “Ain't No Other Man” singer will put her fledgling acting skills to the test in the Crime Scene Investigation series, having previously only voiced a small part in the animated movie Shark Tale. Executive producer Anthony Zuiker says, "Christina's a fan of the show, and we're excited to have her. The episode will probably explore the topic of battered women." Aguilera has been an avid campaigner against domestic violence after revealing her father physically abused her mother during her childhood.

Archives